APY Effective 5/1/2019*
Member Advantage Checking
Up to $500
When we say free, we really mean it: no monthly maintenance fees, no minimum balance requirements, and much more.
Checking Benefits & Features
BECU offers two different free checking accounts. Both offer:
No minimum balance
No monthly maintenance fee
Nationwide access to 30,000+ surcharge free ATMs
Free Debit Mastercard® with fraud protection
Free FICO Score
Member Advantage Checking2
Our free Member Advantage Checking Account boasts 4.07% APY on the first $5003 and many other popular benefits, including:
- Refunded out-of-network ATM Fees (Up to $6 per month)4
- Higher interest rates on CD, IRA & Money Market
- Federally Insured up to $250,0001
Qualifying for a Member Advantage Checking & Savings account is easy2
- Sign up to receive monthly eStatements
- Make at least one free electronic transaction per month5. This can be as simple as depositing your paycheck via auto deposit, paying a bill online, or using your debit card.
- Open Member Advantage Savings Account2. Member Advantage Checking accounts include Member Advantage Savings.
Member Share Checking2
Not sure if you will use your checking account every month, but still want to take advantage of no monthly fees or minimum balance requirements? Then this BECU Checking Account is the one for you.
No Monthly Maintenance Fees
No Minimum Balance
Free Online Banking with bill pay service
Debit Mastercard with fraud protection
Federally Insured up to $250,0001
Member Share Savings Account required2
How to Open an Account
Getting set up with your account is fast, easy, and free2.
Check out our BECU Switch Kit for help on leaving your existing bank and open an account with BECU
Existing BECU savings account holders: log into Online Banking and open a BECU checking account
Questions? Give us a call at 800-233-2328
Debit Card Benefits and Designs
Your free BECU Debit Mastercard comes with a wealth of benefits. Use your debit card to make everyday purchases and pay bills.
- No foreign transaction fee6 on international purchases or ATM withdrawals (the institution that owns the ATM might have additional fees)
- Compatible with Android Pay, Apple Pay and Samsung Pay and other digital wallet apps
- May double your original manufacturer or U.S. store brand warranty on purchases (up to 12 months)7
- Refund up to $250 per product if you become dissatisfied within 60 days of purchase and the merchant will not accept a return7
- Access to several identity theft resolution services
- Protection against unauthorized online purchases with CardProtect-Mastercard SecureCode
- Automatic Billing Updater (ABU) – a free Mastercard service that helps you avoid missed payments when your debit card expires.
When it comes to finances, we're all in it together. BECU is a member-owned credit union, not a bank, and we're here to make our members' lives easier by saving them money. That's why we offer our members free or low-cost services and competitive rates on loans and credit cards.
By establishing membership with us, you'll get these membership benefits and more.
Our community involvement programs provide member inspired giving
Access to hundreds of local deals and discounts
Annual Reprice Program: BECU periodically evaluates the credit rating of each member with a qualifying loan product. If you've improved your credit score sufficiently, made timely payments and your account is in good standing, you may earn a better rate (if you're not already receiving our lowest rate)
1Based on account ownership status and account type.
2To open a Checking Account, you must establish membership by opening a Member Share Savings Account or Member Advantage Savings Account. Business and fiduciary accounts are not eligible for Member Advantage. Limit one Member Advantage Checking and Savings account per person.
3APY = Annual Percentage Yield, rates in effect as of May 1, 2018 and are subject to change, fees may reduce earnings. Checking balances over $500 earn 0.05% APY. See Account Disclosure for details. A Member Advantage Savings Account is required to establish membership.
4Refund of out-of-network ATM fees charged by the other financial institution on ATM withdrawals from a Member Advantage Savings, Member Advantage Checking or Member Advantage Money Market account. Refund will be made in to the Member Advantage account of withdrawal. Account must be open and still considered Member Advantage at time of refund. Refunds processed daily and may take up to three days due to cut-off and posting times. If you share your Member Advantage account with another person, your maximum fee reimbursement will still be $6.
5Qualifying transactions include: Debit Mastercard: Make purchases online, over the phone and in person, Online or Telephone Banking: make BECU loan or Visa payments, or transfer funds between BECU accounts, Bill Payment: Pay utilities, credit cards, businesses, or individuals, Direct Deposit: Receive a recurring monthly direct deposit from your paycheck or other monthly income into your BECU checking account.
60.20% currency conversion fee may be included in the purchase or withdrawal's overall total when using a debit card; however, the fee will be refunded within 3 business days contingent upon the account being open at the time of refund.
7Certain restrictions, conditions and limitations apply. More detailed information on these benefits can be found in the MasterCard Guide to Benefits.