APY Effective 12/1/2020*
Up to $500
Teaching Dollars and Sense
Start your child on the right financial path by teaching smart money management. Our free checking account is an ideal place to begin - it's a joint bank account for both you and your teen.
Free Banking Features
- Available to all BECU members
- No minimum balance requirement
- No monthly service fees
- Debit card with fraud monitoring protection
- Free nationwide access to 30,000+ surcharge-free ATMs
- Text and email account alerts
- Bundled with savings account*
- Free Online Banking and Mobile Banking app**
How to Open an Account
- Join or open an account in-person at a Neighborhood Financial Center
- Select a debit card design
- Enroll in Online Banking**
Beyond Teen Checking
At BECU, we believe in financial health. We also believe in keeping things simple. How do we do that? After your teen turns 18, their Early Saver savings account automatically converts into a standard BECU savings account, while their checking account remains a standard BECU checking account. You can either remain a joint account holder on the savings and checking account (helpful for parental deposits), or your teen can choose to convert the checking and savings accounts into independent accounts. As an "adult" account, they enjoy all the benefits of full-fledged BECU members:
- All the same free features and tools they had before
- Still no monthly fees or minimum balances
- Eligible for Member Advantage, which earns a higher rate of return on first $500 in deposits for both your checking and savings accounts***
It is possible to open a joint account online if your teen has an existing Early Saver account and active Online Banking (if they're at least 13), but we've found it's helpful for both teen and parent to apply in person so we can answer any questions either of you might have. Teens can also get a debit card printed on the spot when they open their accounts in person.
*Must have a parent or legal guardian as the joint on the account. A Member Share savings, Member Advantage savings or Early Savers account is required to establish membership. Limit one Early Saver account per person. Early Saver member may not be older than 18 years old.
**Online Banking and eStatements are not available to anyone under 13 years old, eligibility and benefits subject to change.
***Limit one Member Advantage Checking and Saving account per person.