The BECU Early Saver savings account paired with a BECU checking account is an ideal way to get your teen started on building good financial habits. These accounts benefit both parent and teen because they allow a glimpse into what it’s like to be financially independent. After all, that’s the goal, right?
When you're ready to start, download our checklist, which you and your teen can use to make notes and keep organized.
- The application process takes about 45-60 minutes. Please bring the following to your appointment: Social Security number, photo ID, email, and your physical and mailing address.
- An ATM/debit card can be printed for you on-site.
- Find a location nearest you or schedule an appointment and skip the line.
Existing Early Saver members can open a checking account through the teen's Online Banking**. As a reminder, the parent/guardian must be listed as a joint accountholder.
A member consultant can print the ATM/debit card onsite if joining at a BECU location, or the card can be activated once it arrives in the mail within 7 - 10 business days (no activation necessary for cards printed on-site.)
- Online: Click the Online Banking button at the top of any page on becu.org to help your teen create their username and password.
- In-person: Your member consultant can help create and verify your teen's Online Banking credentials.
Show your teen how to use their new BECU ATM or debit Mastercard to deposit funds. Or you can use your Online Banking to transfer funds from your account to theirs. Wondering other ways you and your teen can make deposits? Find out more here
Add BECU to Your Digital Wallet App, Such as Apple Pay, Google Pay, or Samsung Pay
Teens can securely pay retailers using their digital wallet app. Learn how to add your BECU debit card here
Set up Direct Deposit
Is your teen getting their first paycheck? Direct deposit is ideal. It's not only convenient, but very helpful when it comes to budgeting, planning and not losing a check. Learn how to set up direct deposit.
- If you don't want the Optional NSF Service for Deposit Accounts to be used on your teen's account, ask the member consultant to remove it. After that, checks and ACH transactions will be returned unpaid when your teen doesn't have a sufficient Available Balance in their account.
- Set up account alerts to avoid you or your teen getting caught off guard - receive bank account alerts via text message or email**. Learn how to set up alerts.
- Money Manager is a great tool to help your teen establish a budget, track spending, and see spending trends. Learn how to set up Money Manager.
Have questions or need help?
Ready to get started?
Download our checklist kit that walks you through all the steps.
* Must have a parent of legal guardian on the account.
** Online Banking, Mobile Banking and eStatements are not available to anyone under 13 years old. Eligibility and benefits subject to change.