Interested in making the switch? It can feel like a hassle but it'll be worth it to get the credit union difference. Here's a quick overview so you know what to expect. There are really only four steps, and we'll be here for you the whole way through.
When you're ready to start, get our downloadable switch kit, which you can use to make notes and keep organized.
Apply for BECU membership online, or visit us in person
You'll need to provide your name, address, date of birth and other information that will allow us to identify you. We may also ask to see your driver's license or other identifying documents. See eligibility requirements.
The online application form will take 15-30 minutes. Allow up to 24 hours for your application to process.
- Click the Online Banking button at the top of any page on becu.org to create your username and password.
- Activate your ATM/debit card, which will arrive in the mail in 7-10 days. Learn more.
ONLINE APPLICATION TIPS
- You can save your work anytime and pick it up again later.
- Start online and finish in person: You can visit any BECU Neighborhood Financial Center to get your ATM/debit card printed.
Or find a BECU Neighborhood Financial Center near you.
The in-person application process takes 45-60 minutes. Once approved, your member consultant will:
- Verify your online banking credentials.
- Print your ATM/debit card and help you activate it.
Make initial deposits to your new accounts
The quickest way to transfer money may be to simply write yourself a check from your old account, and deposit it into your new account.
MORE WAYS TO DEPOSIT FUNDS
Don't have checks? You can get a cashier's check, or set up an electronic transfer, from your previous bank. Just be sure you don't close old accounts until all payments have been stopped or transferred.
Set up direct deposit
Contact your employer to get your paychecks in sync with your new accounts.
Set up bill payments
Use BECU online banking, or the biller's website, to link monthly bills to your new account (loan payments, rent, utilities, credit cards, memberships and other services).
ACCOUNT AND ROUTING NUMBERS
Keep your account number and BECU's routing number handy while you complete these steps; you'll refer to them often.
- BECU Routing Number: 325081403
- How to find your new account number
Switch over automatic payments
Identify sites, services, and apps that are connected to old credit or debit cards, and transfer those to your new accounts (online shopping, car or ride share, and other online payment services).
Complete the switch
Once you've transferred bill payments and funds to your new accounts, we recommend waiting another month or so before closing your old accounts to make sure nothing else is being deducted.
Once this is all done, you're free! (Nothing but smooth sailing, from here on out.)
MORE HELPFUL TIPS
- Get written confirmation from your old bank that your account has, in fact, been closed.
- Keep an eye out for final interest payments that could cause your old bank to re-open your account.
- Don't forget to cut up your old debit cards and shred old checks.
Get the App
Access your account anytime with BECU's mobile banking app. Download the version compatible with your device, then log in using your regular online banking credentials. Learn more about BECU Mobile Banking.
Ready to make the switch?
Download our handy switch kit that walks you through all the steps.