BECU is committed to the credit union philosophy of "people helping people". We support our members and the communities they live in through focused, strategic giving that aims to increase financial health.
We are building human capital
We believe that all individuals deserve the opportunity and the resources to take care of their financial health. To that end, we are dedicated to increasing financial access, improving financial education, helping individuals increase their earning power, and strengthening our communities' financial health.
When you have financial health, you are able to take care of your finances: you engage in daily activities that help you build financial resilience and sieze financial opportunity. We believe this leads to financial resilience, or the ability to withstand life events that impact your income, assets, and your future plans.
At BECU, this means that we focus on providing access to safe, affordable financial services, offering programs that encourage financially healthy behaviors and give youth a solid financial foundation, and giving to organizations that are helping people gain the knowledge and skills they'll need to weather life's changes.
To support this vision, we have built a giving strategy that uses BECU's philanthropic dollars to increase individual capacity for future earnings.
Our giving goal is to help individuals:
- Access and complete post-secondary degrees
- Build relevant skills for today's workforce
- Encourage and expand entrepreneurism
We form strategic partnerships on a case-by-case basis with community organizations that advance financial health and resiliency through education, workforce skills, and entrepreneurism. These partnerships are identified by our community giving team and sought out by BECU. Please note that in order the make the most of our efforts, we cannot accept unsolicited proposals for partnership at this time.
BECU Foundation Scholarships
The mission of the BECU Foundation is to encourage and administer contributions for educational scholarships. Scholarships recognize and promote service in the school or community, leadership potential, and academic achievement, and are intended to help BECU student-members pursue post-secondary education and training.
- $3,000 college scholarships to BECU members
- Accepting applications January 1 - March 31
People Helping People Awards
Each year, we ask our members to nominate their favorite community non-profits for People Helping People Awards. Applications are evaluated by a panel of judges, and members and employees contribute by voting for the People’s Choice and Employees’ Choice Awards. Most importantly, award winners are brought together at the annual ceremony, where they find common ground and additional sources of support. The visibility brought to the organizations through the awards often results in BECU employee volunteer hours and contributions.
- Up to $30,000 to member supported community non-profits
- Nominations accepted in late summer and recipients awarded in December
Please note that we are unable to accept unsolicited requests for community giving or partnerships.
If you know a great BECU student-member, please let them know about BECU Foundation Scholarships. And if you believe in the work of a wonderful community non-profit, please nominate them for a People Helping People Award.
Otherwise, you may find that a BECU sponsorship can help support your organization.
As a member-owned credit union, it is our responsibility to invest both time and resources in our communities. One way that we are able to do so is through sponsorships. Our strategy involves a variety of community events and educational efforts.
Submit a Sponsorship Request
Thank you for your interest in a BECU sponsorship opportunity! Requests can be for any dollar amount; we do not place a restriction on the amount of funds requested. For larger requests, we may contact you for additional information and/or to set up a meeting.
Please note the following guidelines:
- All requests must be for organizations that serve a county in which we are active: Island, King, Kitsap, Pierce, Skagit, Snohomish, Spokane and Thurston in Washington or Charleston County in South Carolina.
- We evaluate requests for sponsorships that align with BECU's values. We consider festivals, parades, tables/booths, networking events, chamber/rotary organizations, trade shows, marketing/advertising opportunities, vendor requests and solicitations, and non-profit volunteer opportunities for BECU employees.
- We are unable to fund requests for individuals, schools/school events, travel expenses, trips or tours, pledges, titles, tuition, dues, subscriptions, religious activities, political or fraternal lobbying/campaigns, fundraising walks or runs, sports, clubs or camps.
We review requests year-round. You can expect a response by email within 30 days.