Every year, the BECU Foundation awards a minimum of 25 scholarships. Each scholarship is $2,500 and renewable for two years ($5,000 total).
- Be a member of BECU and primary accountholder at the time of the application submission*
- Be a graduating high school senior or undergraduate student currently enrolled in a two-year, four-year or technical college or university
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater
- Application deadline: February 28, 2020
The BECU Foundation is proud to support Washington State Opportunity Scholars (WSOS). WSOS supports Washington students in high-demand trade, health care and STEM occupations. They offer two different scholarship options:
- Baccalaureate Scholarship for those who intend to earn their bachelor's degree
- Opens January of each year
- Application deadline: February 6, 2020
- Career and Technical Scholarship for those who intend to earn their certificate, apprenticeship or associate degree
- Opens January, May, and September of each
- Application deadline : February 6, 2020
BECU Foundation Scholarships
Each awarded scholarship is $2,500 and renewable for two years ($5,000 total). With the help of our business partners, member donations, and fundraising activities, we award a minimum of 25 scholarships each year.
Since 1995, BECU has awarded more than $2.9 million in scholarships to 1,159 student members.
As a not-for-profit credit union, BECU is committed to social responsibility. As a result, scholarships are awarded based on the student's commitment to community service as well as leadership and academic potential.
- Applicants are required to submit their hours of community service
- Grade point average
- Current transcript.
- Applicants must also respond to short-answer and essay questions related to their commitment to higher education and community service.
- Selection is made without regard to applicant's race, color, national origin, religious belief, sex, marital status, age, or physical handicap.
Note: Previous BECU Foundation scholarship recipients are not eligible to apply. The BECU Foundation Board of Directors, the BECU Board of Directors, the BECU Supervisory Committee, the BECU Executive Management Team, the BECU Scholarship Selection Team or any family members of the above mentioned groups are not eligible to apply
Online applications are available as of Jan. 1, 2020, and close at 11:59 pm PST on Feb. 28, 2020
To be eligible for this award, you must:
- Be a member of BECU and primary accountholder at the time of the application submission*. (The account must be separate from a parent or guardian's account).
- Be a graduating high school senior or undergraduate student currently enrolled in a two-year, four-year or technical college or university (students of graduate programs are not eligible).
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or greater.
Washington State Opportunity Scholarship
The Baccalaureate Scholarship provides up to $22,500 in financial aid support and access to career-launching support services for students pursuing high-demand STEM and health care majors at any eligible public or private college or university in Washington state. The Baccalaureate Scholarship application is open in January of each year.
The Career and Technical Scholarship (CTS) provides up to $1,500 each quarter for the duration of the associate degree, certificate or apprenticeship program from any one of Washington state's 35 community and technical colleges. The CTS is offered in January, May, and September of each year.
The deadline for both scholarships is February 6, 2020.
- Residency. You must be a Washington state resident.
- Financial Need. You must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA)
- Academic Record. You must have a GPA of at least 2.75 or a passing GED score.
- Enrollment Plan. You must be Pursuing a BA degree from the eligible majors list or trade certifications from the eligible Washington state community or technical college list.
- Previous Education Experience. You must be either a high school senior or graduate or in your first two years of college (freshman or sophomore).
BECU Foundation Mission StatementThe mission of the BECU Foundation is to encourage and administer contributions for educational scholarships. The foundation extends the credit union philosophy of people helping people by offering educational support to members and their families. Scholarships recognize and promote service in the community, as well as leadership and academic potential.
BECU Foundation Donors
*Member Share, Member Advantage, or Early Saver savings account required to establish membership; not everyone will qualify.