Thank you for your People Helping People Nominations. Our 2021 nomination period is now closed. Our People Helping People Awards are an annual celebration of exceptional work within the communities we serve. We honor members and nonprofits that drive positive changes through service to others.
PHPA Nominations Are In
Thanks to you, we're on our way to recognizing nonprofits doing exceptional work in our community.
By July 12, PHPA semi-finalists will receive an invitation to complete a supplemental application form. A committee of BECU employees will then review these applications in August. All nominees will receive final word on their applications by September 30, 2021.
2021 Key Dates
- BECU member nominations: June 14 – July 2
- Semifinalists notified: July 12
- Nonprofit completion of application form: July 12 – July 30
- Finalists notified: September Voting for People's Choice Award: November 1-14
- Award recipients announced: December - TBD
The BECU People Helping People Awards are granted in the following amounts:
Member Volunteer of the Year Award: (1) $50,000
Selected by a panel of judges, the award is granted to a nonprofit organization on behalf of an outstanding member volunteer.
People's Choice Award: (1) $50,000
Selected by popular vote from the community, the award is granted to one nonprofit organization.
Employees' Choice Award: (1) $30,000
Selected by popular vote from BECU employees, the award is granted to one nonprofit organization.
Past PHPA Recipients' Choice (1) $30,000
Selected by popular vote from past PHPA recipient nonprofits, the award is granted to one nonprofit organization.
Community Benefit Award: (14) $15,000 or more
Selected by a panel of judges, the awards are granted to fourteen nonprofit finalists that have been nominated by members.
BCDP Nonprofit Capacity Award:
As part of the Black Community Development Project, BECU is awarding up to $150,000 in grant funding to small, Black-led nonprofits that are trying to build capacity to deepen their work in the community.
In addition to the above listed award amounts, all PHPA recipients will receive a glide path grant of $2,500 for the two years following their initial award (glide path funding does not apply to BCDP grant recipients).
About the Award Process
You may nominate any nonprofit organization you support with your time, talents or money. Nonprofits must also meet the following requirements:
- Active 501(c)(3) tax exempt status with the IRS
- Must have a direct impact in one of the following areas:
- Washington state
- County of Charleston, South Carolina
- Oregon Counties: Benton, Clackamas, Columbia, Deschutes, Lane, Linn, Marion, Multnomah, Polk, Washington, Yamhill
- Idaho Counties: Benewah, Bonner, Boundary, Clearwater, Idaho, Kootenai, Latah, Lewis, Nez Perce, Shoshone
- Nonprofit work must be focused in any one of the following seven giving areas:
- Advancing education (Pre-K through college): Access to education, mentoring, educational materials and programming, classroom, school and PTSA funding for educational programs/materials/experiences
- Arts and culture: Equitable access to art experiences, underrepresented art and cultural organizations, cultural programs
- Creating economic opportunity: Living-wage jobs, small and startup businesses, job quality for low-wage workers
- Preserving health and promoting wellness: Access to healthcare, illness prevention/cure, mental health, patient support, disabilities, veteran advocacy
- Preserving or restoring the environment: Conservation, stewardship, sustainability
- Providing for basic human needs: Affordable housing, homelessness, senior advocacy, infant and child advocacy, food/diaper/clothing banks
- Strengthening local communities: Neighborhoods, public safety, search and rescue, outdoor spaces, rotary/chamber
If you need help starting your application, take a look at some winning nominations from previous years. You may also find answers to frequently asked questions in our FAQ section.
People Helping People Community
The nonprofits that have previously received People Helping People Awards are an impressive group. Together, they create a community that works together in new and exciting ways. It's amazing what good comes out of a community of committed philanthropists! We encourage you to check out each organization and consider how you may be able to support them in their work.
Contact BECU Social Impact Team: email@example.com